Venepuncture & Cannulation Training
This is a one day course covers the skills and knowledge required to perform venepuncture & cannulation safely. The course is aimed at nurses, health care assistants and other health care professionals wishing to undertake this skill within their clinical duties.
- The Anatomy and Physiology of the vein
- Venepuncture & Cannulation sites to use
- Essential equipment required for procedure
- Recommended PPE usage
- Correct placement of tourniquet
- Policies / guidance to minimise cross infection
- Correct waste disposal
- Recommended order of draw for pathology
- Aftercare advice
Method of Delivery:
This is a practical based hands on training, learner will practice in a safe environment using the mannequin venepuncture & Cannulation arm.
Further guidance , documentation competency paperwork will be given to complete the competency minimum of 6 venepunctures & Cannulations with the supervision by a skilled worker or a mentor.